There are many dog training tools on the market and it can be very difficult to figure out which ones work and which ones do not. Here are the top ten training tools we have used with our pups at DWE.
Treats (Trader Joes, Charlie bear, etc) We use positive reinforcement training and one of our main tools is treats. Some treats that we use are; Trader Joes Organic Chicken Strips (they are easy to break apart into smaller pieces) and Charlie Bear treats, which are a good crunchy snack.
- Find here: https://www.amazon.com/Trader-Joes-Organic-Chicken-Sticks/dp/B00C50O3TM/ref=sr_1_2?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1472321398&sr=1-2&keywords=trader+joes+dog+treats
Treat Bag: These bags allow you to hold your belongings as well as treats and a clicker. You can be hands-free with quick access, which improves the training experience because you are able to reward your dog faster.
- Buy here: https://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-Treat-Pouch-Sport-Black/dp/B000JCWAWA/ref=sr_1_2?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1472321461&sr=1-2&keywords=treat+bag
Kong Toy: This toy is great for pups with separation anxiety or for those that need extra mental stimulation. It gives them something to focus on while you are away. Fill with frozen peanut butter, hard treats, or even their kibble (so that they eat their food slower).
- Buy here: https://www.amazon.com/KONG-Classic-Dog-Toy-Large/dp/B0002AR0I8/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1472321459&sr=1-1&keywords=kong+toy
Clicker training: Using a clicker can be instrumental in training a dog. It lets them know when they have done something correctly and that they will soon be rewarded with a treat. To learn more about using a clicker to enhance your training visit: http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/pets/dog-behavior/how-train-your-dog-clicker?page=1
- To purchase a clicker go to: https://www.amazon.com/StarMark-Clicker-Dog-Training-System/dp/B000FMDIL6
Sporn Harness: This harness is great for dogs that pull when on a walk. When they pull it gently tugs under the arms so that they understand that this is not desired behavior. We have found that it quickly works and that once they understand that pulling on walks does not benefit them, they become better walkers.
- To buy here: https://www.amazon.com/NEW-SPORN-Pull-Padded-Harness/dp/B00MSODFB2/ref=sr_1_5?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1472321364&sr=1-5&keywords=sporn+harness
Martingale Collar: This type of collar helps with dogs that need gentle training reminders while on the walk (only use during walk time, do not use as a regular identification collar). You can use the collar when you need to get their attention, pull them away from something they should not have, or if they pull ahead. The martingale is a much better alternative to choke chains and regular collars for walking (which your pup may be able to pull out of).
- Buy here: https://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-Martingale-Collar-Quick-Buckle/dp/B00652WUBO/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1472321472&sr=1-1&keywords=martingale+collars+for+dogs
Long Lead: This is essential for training your dog to come when called from longer distances. You are still able to maintain control over them, but it gives both handler and student a chance to work on recalls from far away.
- To buy here: https://www.amazon.com/Leashboss-Long-Trainer-Training-Storage/dp/B01BZGVMWC/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1472321491&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=long+lead+for+dogs&psc=1
Mat for teaching smaller dogs down: Smaller dogs can have a more difficult time learning down than bigger dogs. This is due to the teaching surface being on concrete or wood floors. By providing a mat for your small pup to learn on, you make the space more comfortable and more likely to achieve the desired results.
- To buy here: https://www.amazon.com/Kapaqua-Moroccan-Trellis-Doormat-Non-Slip/dp/B00XGUIULC/ref=sr_1_13?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1472321511&sr=1-13&keywords=small+non+slip+mat
Their favorite toy: Can be all the motivation they need. If they love their ball you can hold it for them to sit and them reward them with the ball. This is especially good for dog who may have allergies to treats or who may have a sensitive stomach. Our pups favorite toy is a stuffed hedgehog.
- Find yours here: https://www.amazon.com/ZippyPaws-Hedgehog-Squeaky-Plush-Small/dp/B00GU992OU/ref=sr_1_3?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1472321573&sr=1-3&keywords=hedgehog+dog+toy
Another dog to give them motivation to work: Find your friend, neighbor, (us!), or a new pup of your own to help you motivate your dog to work. Some friendly dog competition will peak your dog’s interest in doing the best they can to get a treat. If you find that they are not responding to the training, try tying them up nearby and having them watch as you interact and train the other dog. Jealousy works wonders! Make sure once they rejoin the training session to use lots of praise, love, and treats.
- To adopt a new pup near you visit: https://www.petfinder.com/
Have any positive training tips of your own? Please let us know down below in the comments!